Happy Valentine’s Day to our wonderful Culinary Delights readers. Whatever your situation is this Valentine’s Day, I hope you enjoy your day whether you are coupled up or single. Valentine’s Day is all about love and I hope you feel an abundance of it today and every day.
while most people enjoy going out to eat on Valentine’s Day, I know many people will be opting to stay indoors and cook at home. In case you were wondering what to make this Valentine’s day here is an option to spice up your at-home meal.
Here is a delicious croaker and jollof rice recipe you can make for yourself or your loved ones. Being from a coastal country like Senegal, fish is an integral part of our diet. Fish is one of my absolute favourite meals and if the marinated right can be an absolute delight.
Ingredients for Croaker fish:
- 1 fresh lime
- Salt to taste
- 1 croaker fish
- 1 fresh lemon
- Dry parsley leaves
- Fresh rocket leaves
- Fresh parsley leaves
- 2 Maggi cubes
- 1 teaspoon mixed spices
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Ingredients for Croaker fish:
- Descale the croaker fish then wash it properly with hot water to get rid of unwanted smell
- Place the croaker fish in a clean grilling dish, add all the ingredients into the fish
- Use hands to rub in the ingredients properly into the fish then drizzle with cooking oil, lemon and lime juice
- Make three slits on both sides of the fish and ensure that the ingredients are rubbed into the slits as well
- Cover the fish with a cooking foil, make slits through the foil and place in a pre-heated oven of 150-250 C to grill
- Allow the fish to grill until properly cooked
- Once the croaker fish is cooked, bring out from the oven and serve immediately warm
Jollof rice ingredients:
- 4 Tablespoons oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4 Fresh tomatoes or one 14.5oz can of diced (no salt)
- 1 6oz can Tomato paste
- 4 Maggi cubes
- 4 Red onions
- 2 Red bell peppers
- 4 peppers
- 4 1/2 cups of long-grain parboiled rice
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- Cayenne pepper and black pepper
- White pepper
- Bay leaves
- Curry powder
- Garlic or onion powder
- Thyme leave
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Next add onions, thyme, and garlic, cook for about 2 minutes or until onion becomes soft and translucent.
- Add rice, season with paprika, bouillon, salt, and pepper.
- Cook stirring for about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour tomatoes sauce, chicken broth, and hot pepper
- Bring to a boil stirring once or twice. Reduce heat to low, cover saucepan and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, let it sit covered for 5 minutes then turn the rice with a fork or serving spoon.
- Throw in sauteed veggies and/or beef, chicken and shrimp and mix, if desired
- Garnish with parsley
There you have it, your Valentine’s meal is ready. I hope you enjoy making this croaker fish and jollof rice recipe as much as I did.
Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook @bdculinarydelights and @maggi_nigeria and use the hashtags #magginigeria #myculinaryrecipe to show us your jollof rice recipe and stand a chance to win some special prizes. See you next week and happy Valentine’s Day.