• Thursday, July 25, 2024
businessday logo


North Central consumes 43% petroleum products distributed in Nigeria


According to the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) monthly petroleum information (MPI), 43 percent of the refined petroleum products distributed across the geo-political zone in November 2013 went to North Cental region of Nigeria. This made North Central the leading region in consumption of petroleum products in November 2013. A total of 523,583,570 litres of different petroleum products which include Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), Automative Gas Oil (AGO), etc was distributed in the north central region in Novemeber 2013 compared to 358,558,600 litres distributed in the corrsponded month in 2012. The region’s share of the petroleum products distribution declined from 62 percent in 2012 to 43 percent in 2013. Most of the portion of the North Central region was absorded by the South West region in 2013 released result from NNPC monthly petroleum information report. The petroleum product received by the South West zone increased from 21,995,430 litres in 2012 to 138,666,750 litres in 2013. This was also reflected in its share of the products within the period under review. Its share of the petroleum products dropped to 26 percent in November 2013 from 4 percent in the corresponding period in 2012. The South-South zone occupied the third position with 83,966,900 litres of different petroleum products in the month under review. This represents a decrease of about 20 percent when compared with 106,164,890 litres received in November 2012. Other regions including Abuja distributed below 25 million litres of petroleum products. Breaking the region to southern part and northern part of the country excluding Abuja , about 52 percent of the petroleum products distributed in the country as at November 2013 went to the Northern region with North Central accounting for 87 percent . The remaining 13 percent for the region was shared between the North West and North East. Southern part of the country was responsible for the remaining 48 percent with 58 percent of the total petroleum products distributed within the South West while the remaining 42 percent was shared between South –South and South East.