• Sunday, June 16, 2024
businessday logo

BusinessDay

I haven’t withdrawn my case with Niger speaker, minister says

Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye: A topnotch perception of public service

Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye, the minister of women’s affairs has said she is yet to drop the court injunction stopping the mass wedding of some 100 female orphans in Niger State.

The minister made this known in a tweet on her official X account on Friday.

She stated that the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs has resolved with Mohammed Barau Muazu, the Emir of Kotangora, and Abdumalik Sarkindaji, the speaker of the Niger State Assembly to seek ways of collaboration to give a new lease of life for the girls.

Kennedy-Ohanenye added that the girls would be enrolled in schools and vocational centres to acquire the necessary skill sets to thrive.

“I haven’t withdrawn my case until we carry out due diligence and profiling on the girls,” Kennedy-Ohanenye said.

“We will also engage the girls on enrollment in schools, skill acquisition training and empowerment of the girls,” she added.

The minister noted that the ministry is making efforts aimed at ensuring that the welfare and interests of the girls are guaranteed.

This comment follows a widespread report that the minister had withdrawn a court case against the speaker, bowing to pressure from various stakeholders.

BusinessDay reported that Sarkin-Daji had pledged to fund the wedding of some 100 girls whose ages are unknown as part of his support to his constituents following a funding appeal by local authorities.

This move has come with several condemnations and public outrage leading to the minister of women’s affairs petitioning the police and filing a lawsuit against the speaker of Niger.

Religious leaders in Niger as well as various individuals have however cautioned the minister, warning her not to meddle in issues of customs and traditions.

The mass wedding had been scheduled for May 24th but with the latest development, the likelihood that it will hold remains unknown.