• Wednesday, February 21, 2024
businessday logo


Sudan: Jamb pledges to integrate students into Nigerian institutions

JAMB warns against certificate racketeering among tertiary institutions

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has said it will ensure that Nigerian students evacuated from Sudan are integrated into Nigerian universities. Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, JAMB registrar, said this while hosting Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman of Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, NIDCOM, on Tuesday.

Dabiri-Erewa led others to JAMB’s headquarters on Tuesday to discuss integrating returning students from Sudan into Nigerian tertiary institutions. She said 1,730 Nigerians have been evacuated from Sudan and that the majority of them are students eager to continue their education in Nigeria while waiting for the crisis to be over. “The key thing is that there are processes to follow but they are not difficult processes and that is what we learnt from JAMB.“

Oloyede pledged the board’s support in integrating the returning students from Sudan.

According to a statement released on Wednesday, Oloyede said “We must thank NIDCOM for making efforts that the students are brought into the Nigerian university system and we have given the Commission the process and procedure.

“What we will do is that we will provide the necessary infrastructure, the necessary enablement to make you accommodate or return these candidates to our educational system.”

Read also: NECO reschedules national entrance examination for gifted children

He said that there are procedures for transferring students. The transcript, the rules and regulations, and nobody should by any illusion believe that Nigerian universities will award certificates with less than two years stay and residency in the university, and the procedure is done legitimately and properly with the cooperation of the National Universities Commission and the individual institution.

Oloyede also explained that students who are to be transferred must spend a minimum of two academic sessions. If you are doing a five-year programme, you will go to year four, because you are going to spend year 4 and year 5. For instance, if you are studying Medicine and you are in your 600 level, and if the Medical and Dental Council assesses what you have done; practical is okay, they will just move you to year 5, 500 level. You will do 500 level and 600 level, and you will have the certificate of the institution in Nigeria.