…as Otti assures that the road will be motorable before or end of December 2023
Relief is coming to motorists that ply the Aba-PortHarcourt expressway, as reconstruction work on that failed portion of the Enugu-PortHarcourt expressway has started.
Accessing PortHarcourt, Rivers State capital from Aba, Abia State, has been a nightmare for motorists, due to the deplorable condition of that section of Enugu-PortHarcourt expressway, a federal road.
The road had been a source of worry to road users, who at different forra appealed to the Federal Government to rehabilitate it, to reduce accidents and their sufferings, a prayer that has been answered with this development.
Governor Alex Otti, while on inspection of ongoing work on the road, Tuesday, assured that the road will become accessible on or before the end of December 2023.
Otti, who started the inspection from the Rivers/Abia boundary, said that he was on inspection of the road to see the progress of work that has been done by CCECC of China, the contractors, noting that Abia is collaborating with the Federal Government to ensure that the road, which has been unutilised for many years is made motorable as quickly as possible.
He said that the Minister of Works, David Umahi, assured him that he has the instructions of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, to ensure that the road is made available for use, by motorists before the Yuletide of this (2023) year.
“I have come to see for myself the progress of work done so far and I can see the seriousness of the contractors. Coincidentally, the contractors, CCECC are also working for us in Abia State and we have an engineer permanently posted to them, who is on-site, giving us daily reports, but I came to see for myself and I am impressed with what they’ve done so far.
He expressed appreciation to President Tinubu, the Minister of Works, David Umeahi and the contractors, who are working so hard to ensure that the road is used as quickly as possible.