• Monday, July 15, 2024
businessday logo


Here are steps to process your motor insurance claims

Motor insurance claims

Have you taken out an insurance cover for your vehicle? If your answer is yes, then you are entitled to make a claim on your motor insurance policy in the event of an accident.

However, this is only possible if you have a valid insurance policy that is genuine and got from a registered insurer in Nigeria.

Depending on the type of cover you have- whether it is motor third party or comprehensive, here a steps you can take to process your claims successfully.

When you have comprehensive insurance

If you have a comprehensive policy you should claim from your own insurer. You can still claim from the other driver’s insurer for any injuries or losses not covered by your own policy.

To make a claim, get a Claims Form from your insurer or write to the other driver or their insurer, giving details of the accident and the other driver’s policy number. It is important also to disclose to your insurer about any independent witnesses and send them witness statements if you can. If you used a broker or agent to buy your policy, they may be able to help you. Make sure you keep copies of all documents and letters.

Your insurer will require from you the following claims substantiating documents:

Private Motor (Accident claim) – A duly completed claims form; Police report; Witness report; Photograph of the accident vehicle; Any other documents relating to the claim

The police report is necessary for motor accidental claim only when a third party vehicle is also involved in the accident.

Upon submission of these documents, the insurance company will send an Engineer to ascertain the extent of damage and the Engineer will produce a report advising the insurance company on equitable amount that will be enough to repair the vehicle after an agreement has been reached with the auto repairer. This amount will be offered to the claimant less policy excess. Remember your Policy Excess is the amount the insured bear on every claim to make him more careful in the future and act as if uninsured. Although insurance companies also have an Excess free policy but it is subject to payment of additional premium.

Private Motor (Theft): A duly completed claim form; Interim & Final Police reports; Witness report; Original insurance certificate; Original vehicle license; Ignition /Boot Keys; Last service invoice; Purchase invoice; Any other documents relating to the claim; and Original purchase receipt/invoice

For theft claim, the insured must report to the insurance company immediately and later submit the above listed documents as soon as possible.

When you have third party insurance

When you have a Third Party cover you should make a claim against the other driver and allow the insurer to decide who is responsible for the accident. In order to claim from the other driver, you should inform your insurer, while the other driver should report the accident to their own insurer.

It is important that you as the insured or your agent/broker provide these claims substantiating documents on time to enable the insurance company process your claims as quick as possible.