The presidency denied an Al Jazeera report that civilians had been killed in the military’s offensive against Islamist militants, reports Bloomberg.
A video, which Al Jazeera said late on Sunday was taken by a unidentified Nigerian soldier of the current military operation, was actually of another incident on May 7 in Bama, Reuben Abati, the presidential spokesman, said on Monday in an e-mailed statement.
On May 7, Boko Haram militants wearing army uniforms attacked a barracks, a prison and a police station in the town of Bama, killing at least 42 people and freeing 105 inmates, officials said at the time, adding that 13 militants also died.
The military began an air and ground offensive against Boko Haram on May 16, after Jonathan imposed emergency rule on May 14 in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states to step up the fight against Islamist militants. The insurgents were taking over parts of Borno State, according to Jonathan.