• Saturday, May 25, 2024
businessday logo

BusinessDay

Presidency denies endorsing beginning of 2015 campaigns

businessday-icon

The presidency has denied claims and allegations that President Goodluck Jonathan has endorsed the beginning of campaign for 2015 elections.

This is contained in a statement issued on Tuesday in Abuja by the special adviser to the president on media and publicity, Reuben Abati.

Specifically, Abati refuted a front page news report that a 21-member committee had been set up for Jonathan’s second term bid.

“This is totally untrue and without any basis in reality.

“As he has truthfully declared on several occasions, President Jonathan has not yet taken a decision on whether or not he will seek re-election in 2015.

“He has, therefore, not mandated any individual, committee or organisation to start working on his behalf for the 2015 elections”.

Abati said the president’s stated wish to be left alone to focus on delivering on his promise of good governance and national transformation without unnecessary distractions should be respected.

“Political jobbers and their collaborators in the media should stop heating up the polity with baseless speculations and falsehoods revolving around imaginary plans and schemes by the presidency for the 2015 elections”, he said.