• Sunday, July 21, 2024
businessday logo

BusinessDay

I will make it very difficult for Ruiz- Joshua

Anthony Joshua

Anthony Joshua has warned Andy Ruiz Jr that he will reclaim his world title belts when they meet on Saturday at the Diriyah Arena in Saudi Arabia.

The 30-year-old Nigerian born British boxer is bidding to get back the WBA Super, IBF, IBO and WBO heavyweight crowns he lost to Mexican boxer Andy Ruiz Jr.

Joshua was dealt a crushing blow to his status as the number one worldwide boxing star back in June when, at Madison Square Garden in New York, he was dropped four times before being stopped by ‘The Destroyer’.

Joshua has admitted to having stripped everything back and to have focused more on boxing this time around, had previously had to battle against the tirade of questions regarding fights with the likes of WBC world champion Deontay Wilder and former unified world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury.

The sole focus this week, though, has been Andy Ruiz Jr. and how, in the month of Christmas, the former Olympic champion goes about reclaiming his consensus spot at the top of the heavyweight tree.

“It’s about who uses their time more wisely,” Joshua told Sky Sports. “Away from the bright lights of the media after I took my loss, it was a time to reflect and that’s what I did.

“The changes I’ve made will make it very difficult for Ruiz Jr in the rematch. Everyone talks about change but us fighters have a spark in us. I fine-tuned.

“It’s a marathon not a sprint, and I will be victorious. The main thing is about being in control of every situation. I know how good I am. I dedicate my life to boxing so it will be no surprise when I win. This is all I’ve got so when I do amazing things, I keep my head on my shoulders, and my feet on the ground. I know I’m capable of doing it but it’s about doing it in those 36 minutes.”

Joshua and Ruiz Jr did not interact on Monday night at their official arrival, and Ruiz questioned whether AJ was avoiding him.

“I wanted to see him, I wanted to shake his hand, but I guess he didn’t want to see me,” Ruiz Jr told Sky Sports.

The IBF, WBA and WBO title-holder insisted that longer preparation would result in a second consecutive win over Joshua.

“For the last fight we only had a month-and-a-half at most, this time we’ve had three months,” he said.

“I don’t underestimate any fighter, especially AJ. I know he will bring his A-game. I know he wants to hit me from distance but it’s my job to do what we plan on doing. We’re ready for whatever he brings.

“Things happen for a reason. No-one is saying this will be easy. I know it will be hard, there will be obstacles.”

 

Anthony Nlebem