Nigeria's leading finance and market intelligence news report.
Nokia Ads (6weeks)

Scores fear dead in Lagos gas shop fire

Scores of residents in Ajegunle area of Lagos are feared to have died in an inferno which allegedly sparked off following an explosion in a gas shop in the early hours of Thursday, November 28.

Among the dead are two children said to have been unable to escape from the fire disaster.

BusinessDay gathered that property estimated at some millions of naira were also destroyed within the neighbourhood.

It was learnt that a gas cylinder shop in the community had exploded as a result of leakage, leading to an inferno that enveloped the community and got many residents trapped in it.

Residents believed that someone made have making a phone call around the leaked gas cylinder, causing it to explode, destroying nearby shops and houses.

Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, director-general of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), confirmed that the fire ignited as a result of a call being made by an unidentified person near the leaked gas cylinder.

 

Joshua Bassey

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.