• Saturday, July 13, 2024
businessday logo

BusinessDay

IBEDC signs MoU with independent power providers to boost power distribution

IBEDC signs MoU with independent power providers to boost power distribution

In a bid to shore up the electricity distribution capacity, the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBEDC) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the independent power providers to use the electricity generated them to supply the customers across five States, namely, Niger, Kwara, Osun, Oyo and Ogun.

The company’s move to source power outside the national grid presently pegged at 478 megawatts daily, became necessary so as to sufficiently supply its customers.

Lawal Christoper, the officer in charge (technical) of the IBEDC and Angela Olanrewaju, Coordinating Head, Corporate Services,.who addressed journalists in Ibadan, said about 38.24% of its power supply from the national grid was not enough as IBEDC would need 1,250 megawatts of electricity daily to be able to sufficiently supply its customers.

According to Lawal, its supply from the national grid is presently pegged at 478 megawatts daily and this is having a ripple effect on the extent to which it can distribute electricity to consumers.

Read also: 10 things to know about All On, Ceesolar $395,000 Niger Delta power project

The Press Conference, which came on the heels of Monday’s protest by residents of the Lalupon Community in Ibadan over prolonged blackout, quoted Lawal to have said, “from the gotten megawatts, IBEDC is statutorily bound to supply 40% of the electricity to Band A customers while it shares the remaining 60 per cent across customers on Band B to E.

He however noted that the distribution company was mandated by its regulators to source power to shore up its distribution capacity through alternative renewable energy sources.

Expantiating further, Angela Olanrewaju, noted that such a reason prompted the IBEDC to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with independent power providers as the company was ready to source power outside the grid, and explore solar and hydropower sources.

The duo therefore said IBEDC had rolled out alternative measures towards resolving the issue bordering on the continuous disconnection of power supply to the Lalupon Community and its environs in Ibadan for over 10 years.