• Monday, December 04, 2023
businessday logo


TotalEnergies discovers oil, gas on OML102 offshore Nigeria

On World Clean-Up Day, TotalEnergies calls for action to protect environment

TotalEnergies has discovered the Nkoton oil and gas on the Oil Mining Lease (OML) 102 offshore Nigeria, the company said in a release.

According to Nicolas Terraz, President, Exploration & Production at TotalEnergies, the Ntokon discovery opens a promising outlook for a new tie-back development.

Located in shallow waters, 60 km off the southeast coast of Nigeria, the Ntokon-1AX discovery well encountered 38 metres of net oil pay and 15 metres of net gas pay, while its side-track Ntokon-1G1 encountered 73 metres of net oil pay, in well-developed and excellent quality reservoirs, the company said.

Read also: Nigeria earned N5trn from oil sales in first quarter of 2023

According to TotalEnergies, Ntokon-1G1 tested successfully up to a maximum rate of about 5,000 barrels per day of 40° API oil.

“After the start-up of production of the Ikike tie-back on OML99 in 2022, this new success in the area further demonstrates the potential of nearby exploration to create value within our low cost, low emission strategy,” Terraz added.

Located 20 km from the Ofon field facilities on OML102, Ntokon is planned to be developed through a tie-back to these existing facilities.

OML 102 is operated by TotalEnergies EP Nigeria with a 40 percent interest, alongside partner, the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Ltd, with the remaining 60 percent.