Edward Enninful OBE, the editor-in-chief of British Vogue, has been named the UK’s most influential black person on the prestigious Powerlist 2024. The annual list, compiled by Powerful Media, celebrates the achievements and contributions of individuals of African, African Caribbean, and African American heritage. Now in its 18th year, the Powerlist serves as an inspiration for young people, showcasing black role models across various sectors.
In addition to Edward Enninful, the 2024 Powerlist includes notable figures such as Afua Kyei, Chief Financial Officer at the Bank of England, and Steven Bartlett, the well-known entrepreneur, Dragons’ Den star, and podcaster.
Edward Enninful, who became the first black man to assume the helm at British Vogue, recently announced his decision to step down as editor-in-chief to focus on expanding the brand globally and pursuing other ventures. He also holds the position of European Editorial Director at Condé Nast.
Reflecting on his recognition as the UK’s most influential black person, the 51-year-old described it as an honour. He shared that the list “shines a light on black people really breaking boundaries, who are unafraid and champion what it means to be truly diverse in their own industries.”
Born in Ghana, Enninful moved to London with his family at a young age. He was discovered as a teenager on a train and briefly pursued a career in modeling. At 18, he began his editorial journey as the fashion director of the British youth culture magazine i-D, making him the youngest editor at a major international fashion title.
The Powerlist acknowledges outstanding individuals in a wide range of industries, including business, science, technology, and the arts. Notable names on the 2024 list include Lord Woolley of Woodford, co-founder of Operation Black Vote and Principal at Cambridge University’s Homerton College, as well as model and activist Munroe Bergdorf.
Comedian Mo Gilligan and entrepreneur Patricia Bright are also featured in the list. Previous top-ranking individuals on the Powerlist include luminaries such as seven-time Formula One champion Sir Lewis Hamilton and former Children’s Laureate Malorie Blackman.
The Powerlist 2024 – Top 10:
- Edward Enninful, OBE – Editor-in-Chief of British Vogue, European Editorial Director of Vogue
- Dean Forbes – CEO, Forterro, Partner Corten Capital
- Afua Kyei – Chief Financial Officer, Bank of England
- Marvin Rees – Mayor of Bristol
- Tunde Olanrewaju – Senior Partner and Managing Partner, McKinsey & Company
- Joshua Siaw, MBE – Partner, White & Case
- Syreeta Brown – Group Chief People and Communications Officer, Virgin Money UK
- Paulette Simpson, CBE – Executive, Corporate Affairs and Public Policy, Jamaica National Bank; Executive Director, The Voice Media Group
- Vanessa Kingori, CBE – Chief Business Officer, Condé Britain, Vogue European Business Advisor
- Lord Woolley of Woodford – Co-founder, Operation Black Vote, and Principal, Homerton College, Cambridge University.