• Thursday, May 23, 2024
businessday logo

BusinessDay

Total’s commitment to Nigeria highlights annual CRS conference

businessday-icon

On Monday, 22 April, 2013, experts, partners, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and other stakeholders from all over the country gathered at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja for Total Upstream Nigeria’s second biennial Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) conference.

The theme was: “Creating Value for our Stakeholders,” in which Guy Maurice, the managing director and chief executive of the Total Upstream Companies in Nigeria, revealed his company’s CSR commitment to Nigeria, which far outstrips the rest of Africa and the world.

According to Maurice, “Nigeria today in the portfolio of CSR projects we have, is more than 50%, Africa is 75% and the other 25% is to the whole world.”

The Total managing director and CEO, who was represented by Antonin Fotso, the secretary general for Africa, Total Exploration and Production, explained TOTAL Upstream Nigeria’s consciousness in the area of CSR, and said it showed that the Total group was in the right direction in investing in CSR projects in Nigeria and other countries.

The second biennial CSR conference featured workshop sessions and an enthralling panel discussion on the topic: “How IOCs Can Create Value for all Stakeholders.”

By far, Total’s effort in CSR commitments in Nigeria has come a long way. For instance, the company’s SME empowerment drive among youths and women in Egi Community in Ogba-Egbema-Ndoni LGA in Rivers State posts a good study in CSR commitment. Experts equally applauded the company’s handling of the last year’s gas surge and spill at Obite plant in the same LGA which speak volumes of how a multinational oil company should respect the well being of its host community. No wonder Total has hardly been involved in community chaos at its operational facilities since it began oil production in Nigeria in 1962.

BEN EGUZOZIE