Former WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight world champion Anthony Joshua has informed his promoter Eddie Hearn that he has no interest in fighting former UFC champion Francis Ngannou when they discussed the opportunity of a big-money crossover clash.
Hearn, a veteran 44-year-old boxing promoter said the Nigerian-born British boxer and former two-time world heavyweight champion is not willing to take the fight, despite the major money that is at stake.
When they discussed the possibility, Hearn claimed that it was not even on his fighter’s radar, which is covered completely by his path back to heavyweight gold.
Read also: ‘Joshua can’t stand Ngannou’s power punch’
In an interview with talkSPORT, Hearn told host Jim White that Anthony Joshua said during their discussions that he has, “Absolutely no interest at all,” in the fight, before adding: “I want to become heavyweight world champion again, I’ve got no interest in fighting Francis Ngannou.”
Previously, Hearn had discussed the notion of contacting Ngannou’s team and advising Joshua to ‘take the fight in a heartbeat’.
“Francis Ngannou came to me, we had a very nice meeting and he’s got a great story,” Hearn added.
WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury survived what could be the biggest upset in the history of boxing in a fight against former UFC champion Ngannou in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Fury claimed a controversial split decision victory over former Ngannou in a ‘Battle of the Baddest’ fight on Saturday night.