• Wednesday, November 29, 2023
businessday logo


Betta Edu denounces poverty alleviation website, says ‘it’s fake’

FG has dedicated 10% of social interventions to PwDs – Minister

Betta Edu, the minister of humanitarian affairs and poverty alleviation, has distanced herself from a website claiming to be an official federal government trust fund portal that has been collecting personal data from unsuspecting Nigerians.

In a statement released on Tuesday by the minister’s spokesperson, Rasheed Olanrewaju, Edu clarified that the website was not created by her ministry or any other federal agency, categorising it as the work of fraudsters.

Read also:Reps summon Betta Edu over alleged fraud in FG cash transfer program

“The honourable minister for humanitarian affairs and poverty alleviation, Dr. Betta Edu, wishes to inform the general public that a circulating portal ‘FG Humanitarian and Poverty Alleviation Trust Fund Portal’ did not emanate from the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation,” the statement reads.

“The said portal is fake, created by undesirable elements with the sole intention of defrauding unsuspecting members of the public.”

In September, the federal government introduced a trust fund aimed at poverty alleviation for citizens.

Read also:FG approves $3.45bn World Bank loan to boost power, other sectors

The minister explained that 30 percent of the funding is earmarked to be provided by the federal government, with the remaining 70 percent expected to be contributed by donor agencies.