Beautiful Nubia rolls out drums to celebrate decade of music festival
Segun Akinlolu, creator of contemporary African folk and roots music is set to roll out drums and other musical instruments to mark 10 years of the music festival, tagged ‘EniObanke Musical Festival (EMUfest)’.
Beautiful Nubia, as he is widely known to the general public, has gathered new and emerging music talents to feature in the festival of music which will take place online due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
EMUfest first came to life in 2010 and the 2020 event marks the 11th edition, making it the longest running recurring music event organised by any musician in the country in recent years.
According to Beautiful Nubia, a veterinary doctor- turned musician and poet, the 11th annual EniObanke Music Festival (EMUfest) premiered festival of contemporary folk music in Nigeria.
Commenced in 2010 with the goal of providing a platform for the exposure of new and emerging talents as well as the celebration of established and legendary music figures, it has featured over 300 such artistes since then.
BusinessDay reports that EMUfest 2020 will take place online due to the ongoing pandemic on Saturday, December 5, 2020, at 8 pm Nigerian Time and will be streamed live on YouTube.com/awilele.”
While giving the list of expected musicians billed to perform at this year’s EMUfest, the creator and leader of Beautiful Nubia and Roots Renaissance Band, said nine artistes in addition to his band, would entertain the world with different African-rooted music online.
The showcasing artistes and bands, according to Press Release signed and made available to journalists in Lagos by Feyikemi Selem, the Booking and Media Supervisor, EMUfest, nine artistes will be featured, including Femi Ajayi, Victor Ademofe, Tosinger, Segun ‘Mola.
Others are Olufemi Emmanuel, Ayo Ralph, Awelewa Samuel, Evon, Kayode Obilade as well as the Beautiful Nubia and Roots Renaissance Band being led by Segun Akinlolu himself.
Short Profiles of the Artistes
1. Femi Ajayi (AJ Sequential) – a songwriter and bandleader based in Ibadan, Nigeria with several music albums to his credit.
2. Victor Ademofe – a trumpeter, singer and percussionist. He is an advocate of African culture and this reflects handsomely in his music.
3. Atlanta-based Nigerian Afro-Indie Singer/Songwriter Tosinger comes with an earthy musical flow that’s soulful, a sheer loveliness of healing and heavenly inspiration.
4. ‘Segun ‘Mola is the stage name of Olusegun Ogunmola, a poet, singer-songwriter and guitarist, whose compositions cut across themes ranging from religion and faith to love and politics. He is currently based in Ibadan, Nigeria, where he works in the mental health field.
5. Kayode Obilade is a trumpeter and piano player based in Ibadan, Nigeria. He teaches music and leads the Kaybrass Band.
6. Evon, a UK-based singer and songwriter, writes lyrics that reflect the ponders of her soul and in every song there is a message of hope.
7. Awelewa Samuel, aka Starsamm, was born in Osun State, Nigeria. He is a singer-songwriter who seems to acknowledge no boundaries between styles or eras, creating a sound that’s both idiosyncratic and personal.
8. Oluwafemi Emmanuel (aka Émmy Nuél) is an independent contemporary Nigerian singer with a distinctive style of music that gives revelatory insight into the warmth concealed in the power of love, hope and service for humanity. He lives in Kwara State.
9. Ayo Ralph is a singer-songwriter based in Ondo State, Nigeria. He plays several music instruments and is also a music producer.